Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: When it hits.

  1. #1
    Rookie Black_Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    42

    When it hits.

    I'm going to be going to college next year. I will be an eight hour drive from my home. I'm very close to everyone in my family so this will be difficult. Yeah I've always been the independent type but it's really starting to hit me that I will be completely on my own soon. It's stressful. Most teens can't wait to leave home. I don't want to leave home. I love my family and being far away from the person I talk to about everything will be hard. I've also never had a job before although I'm not too worried about that part. I've talked to other seniors and they are all starting to realize it too. It's stressful at first but I guess I'll get used to it soon.
    Last edited by Black_Angel; 04-23-2012 at 04:14 PM.

  2. #2
    ReachOut Staff Member Emily_RO_Staff 's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    11
    Hey Black Angel, Congrats on getting into College! You're SO right, moving out of home to go to college is stressful at first, but after time you get used to it. With effort long distance relationships can be just as rewarding as regular relationships. Your special people will always be there for you! Check out this fact sheet on maintaining long distance relationships with your loved ones: http://us.reachout.com/facts/factshe...-relationships We wish you all the best with this big transition. We reckon you will ROCK it! Is there anything that excites you about this big move? What are you going to be studying?

  3. #3
    ReachOut Peer Supporter MindfulWarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    635
    Hey Black_Angel

    I can relate to your situation leaving home can become a bittersweet moment especially because we kind of want to branch out but in the same way we want our roots to stick to our OLD ground .. I would def. come up with a wellness plan like a support structure to have people on dial for when we stop being busy and our mind starts to wander into what ifs.. our minds have to adjust to change and well you have come to the right spot we are here to be all ears (:

  4. #4
    Rookie Black_Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    42
    I've getting used to the idea of being away from home but the thing is that there are a lot of things that I won't know about when I leave. My dad has health issues and I won't know what's going on with him as much and I have health issues as well and the people who know what's going on will be 8 hours away from me. I don't know how I'm gonna handle that.

  5. #5
    ReachOut Peer Supporter Lilbirdy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    734
    That is completely understandable and I can relate. We care about our lived ones and want to know that their okay. Have you ever tried maybe having a form of communication with their primary doctors, neighbors, friends, or someone that you are able to contact to check when you're away

  6. #6
    Rookie Black_Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    42
    Neighbors don't know and friends know very little. The only way to get information about it will be to talk to my family directly and I don't know how busy I will be in my freshman year of college. It's also a matter of them checking on me which I'm not the kind to tell someone when something is wrong so it's will be stressful for my mom and if something happens she may not know right away.

  7. #7
    ReachOut Peer Supporter talkativeturtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    938
    I left for a really long time over Summer and it was really stressful at first and hard but skyping with my family made it so much easier. That is one of the pro's of technology that we can see our family members even if we arent face to face. Although it was a hard experience I realized how much my family meant to me and how much closer it brought as all together. Absence makes the heart grow fonder. (:

  8. #8
    ReachOut Peer Supporter AmiableRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,800
    Quote Originally Posted by talkative turtle View Post
    I left for a really long time over Summer and it was really stressful at first and hard but skyping with my family made it so much easier. That is one of the pro's of technology that we can see our family members even if we arent face to face. Although it was a hard experience I realized how much my family meant to me and how much closer it brought as all together. Absence makes the heart grow fonder. (:
    I agree with talkative turtle, skyping could be a good way to keep in contact with loved ones. I am going to be far from my family too and I am planning to set up times where I can skype or call them to see how things are going. Going to college is a huge transition, and it's a good thing that you are very considerate of your family.
    Maybe this fact sheet about adjusting to college can help you out: http://us.reachout.com/facts/factshe...attend-college.

  9. #9
    ReachOut Peer Supporter Comet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    557
    Hey Black Angel. First off, congratulations on the college!

    I feel you Angel, last year I was going to go to college in Switzerland, and my family and I are SUPER close. It was the scariest feeling ever but I was strong because I could tell my mom was very happy about the fact that I would be exploring the world. I am sure your family is thrilled to see you become such a success. The best thing you can do is tell them how nostalgic and scared your getting. Trust me, this really helped me out a lot when I did it.

  10. #10
    Rookie Black_Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    42
    Again, it's not so much leaving that scares me. It's the fact that I won't know about the updates in my dad's health nor will they know how I'll be doing. We are hoping to get my health issues resolved before I go to college because I'm not exactly the kind to tell somebody when something is wrong because it's fairly normal to me. That is stressing my mom out.

  11. #11
    ReachOut Peer Supporter sippinsmiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,004
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Angel View Post
    Again, it's not so much leaving that scares me. It's the fact that I won't know about the updates in my dad's health nor will they know how I'll be doing. We are hoping to get my health issues resolved before I go to college because I'm not exactly the kind to tell somebody when something is wrong because it's fairly normal to me. That is stressing my mom out.
    Have you considered going to city college and then transferring to a University? It's a lot cheaper, especially with all these tuition hikes! And you and your family will have more time to resolve your health issue.

  12. #12
    Rookie Black_Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by YOLO_yeahh View Post
    Have you considered going to city college and then transferring to a University? It's a lot cheaper, especially with all these tuition hikes! And you and your family will have more time to resolve your health issue.
    No. I refuse to put my life on hold because of this. The school I'm enrolling in is one of the best. And it is actually cheaper because of the financial aid they are offering me.

  13. #13
    ReachOut Peer Supporter sippinsmiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,004
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Angel View Post
    No. I refuse to put my life on hold because of this. The school I'm enrolling in is one of the best. And it is actually cheaper because of the financial aid they are offering me.
    You're awesome! But hey, just because you go to city college doesn't mean you're putting your life on hold..you're just taking the scenic route.

  14. #14
    Rookie Black_Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by YOLO_yeahh View Post
    You're awesome! But hey, just because you go to city college doesn't mean you're putting your life on hold..you're just taking the scenic route.
    I can't afford to take the scenic route.

  15. #15
    ReachOut Peer Supporter AmiableRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,800
    That's reasonable. Not letting obstacles hold you back to reach your goals is a good thing. Just do what you can to get there.

  16. #16
    ReachOut Peer Supporter ExPLorer_11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Angel View Post
    No. I refuse to put my life on hold because of this. The school I'm enrolling in is one of the best. And it is actually cheaper because of the financial aid they are offering me.
    Thats Awesome! Glad to hear you have desire to attend a good college. However, a CC doesnmt mean your life on hold, your just taking the same GE courses in a different school.. and less expensive. But then again if you have Financial aid take advantage of the opportunity.. LOL

  17. #17
    ReachOut Peer Supporter Lilbirdy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    734
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Angel View Post
    No. I refuse to put my life on hold because of this. The school I'm enrolling in is one of the best. And it is actually cheaper because of the financial aid they are offering me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExPLorer_11 View Post
    Thats Awesome! Glad to hear you have desire to attend a good college. However, a CC doesnmt mean your life on hold, your just taking the same GE courses in a different school.. and less expensive. But then again if you have Financial aid take advantage of the opportunity.. LOL
    Ecplorer_11 you make valid points and i agree if you are going to be reicieving finacial aide to attend the Universty then by all means jump on that boat and sail to your distanation where you can expierence the collage life!

    Just don't go out till you have your homework done because falling behind is not the buisness...

  18. #18
    ReachOut Peer Supporter ExPLorer_11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilbirdy View Post
    Ecplorer_11 you make valid points and i agree if you are going to be reicieving finacial aide to attend the Universty then by all means jump on that boat and sail to your distanation where you can expierence the collage life!

    Just don't go out till you have your homework done because falling behind is not the buisness...
    Exactly, Thanks for the great advice. Do homework first then go out. Gotcha! Great suggestion. Also dont procrastinate. Worst thing ever!

  19. #19
    ReachOut Peer Supporter MindfulWarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    635
    this thread really inspires me to find a college not close to home I think its time for the baby bird to fly away from the coop

  20. #20
    ReachOut Peer Supporter ExPLorer_11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,079
    Quote Originally Posted by MindfulWarrior View Post
    this thread really inspires me to find a college not close to home I think its time for the baby bird to fly away from the coop
    i think just the fact of going away from home helps an individual become more mature and independent.

  21. #21
    ReachOut Peer Supporter Lilbirdy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    734
    Quote Originally Posted by ExPLorer_11 View Post
    Exactly, Thanks for the great advice. Do homework first then go out. Gotcha! Great suggestion. Also dont procrastinate. Worst thing ever!
    No problem explorer!! and just to let you know that i am returning to school! i am a college student again!!! woot woot !

  22. #22
    Newbie bbpebbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    11
    I feel like i'm in the same boat as you I love my school, and home, and family. I recently turned 17 and since my birthday all these changes have seemed so close it's been scaring the bejeebus out of me. I'm terrified to leave my mom behind since it's just her and me at home. I hope things so smoothly for you, good luck!

  23. #23
    Newbie sara_94's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    4
    Hi Black_angel,

    Trust me when I say that you will be alright. I experienced similar emotions last year, around this time, when graduation was rapidly approaching. I had a very positive experience growing up in my hometown. I love my best friends that I met there more than myself at times. Try and look at this as an opportunity for growth, instead. As Dr. Seuss says, "Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." The friends you have and the memories you made will always be there. You will learn how to be independent away from your friends and family and you will grow an entirely new appreciation for them. You will learn to be your own best friend at some times, especially in the beginning. Just remember that even though your friends and family are 8 hours away, or off at college too, they are still there. We're lucky enough to be growing up at a time where we can Skype with our close ones or just shoot them a text.
    .
    It is a very stressful time. Enjoy it and I promise you will make lasting memories. Remember how many people are cheering you on!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •