Thread: People starring drives me crazy

ReachOut Regular xSami_Sometimesx's Avatar

People starring drives me crazy

The looks I had received from people today angered me more than I care to admit.
    I wanted more than anything to just scream “what are you looking at?” as loud as I could manage just to make it stop.Or just, punch something. Is it really that hard of a concept for people to grasp that they don’t have to stare a hole in another person’s head?

Oftentimes I wonder if maybe it is me just being paranoid. Because of things that have happened before, I don’t mean to be that way. But then I realize, it isn’t me. Because the people starring always make eye contact when I see them. It is annoying. I don’t know them. I don’t wish to know them. Their personalities scream they aren’t the types of people I want to associate with. I generally get along with anyone that is nice, but I hate synthetic niceness.
    That is the problem I have with people. They portray this cookie-cutter, perfection that can only be slightly achieved through film or television but in all honesty, there is nothing perfect about them. They take the saying “fake it till you make it” way too far. These people have faked so much that they started to believe the lie that they built around themselves.

Sometimes I want to know, what makes these people tick. What have they got going on in their lives that makes them feel so important that they have to look down on everyone else around them?
    Did everything just magically fall into place for them so they feel that they are some type of living, breathing specimen of perfection?
    What makes them so great? What is it? Is it because they don’t fall apart every night or ever feel alone?

I like to watch people and try to put a story together for them, figure out what their lives might be like sometimes. I wonder if other people do that to me and put everything together and get it right. I wonder if they can see that I am on a train that’s stuck going in circles, or that I haven’t decided what I wanted to do with my life like everyone else has. I wonder if they can see how insecure I am despite how I present myself.

I don’t like that people can get into my head like that if they speak to me long enough.

It isn’t my fault that people have a starring problem. Why can’t these people be more like everyone else in the world? As in, why can’t they just bury their faces in their phones and pretend I am not there?

There was one person, a short, stocky man with a slightly balding head and beady eyes that kept starring. Every laugh, movement, smile, look of annoyance, he always seen. It was unnerving. I don’t like being starred at as if I am a criminal. I would turn up my music and move my head just a little to it and he would just stare. His wife would too. I don’t care for them much. They make me uncomfortable.
    They are two people that act as if they are the best things walking the earth.

Then there is this older woman who does the same. She walks in the room, gives me a look of what seems to be disgust then leaves. Then if I show up in the same room as her, her eyes follow me wherever I go. It is creepy. Almost like one of those paintings or photographs you see in empty trailers or houses. You know they aren’t watching, but you feel like the eyes follow you.

There is one person who talks to me, he seems nice. He sometimes tells me about all these places that he has traveled to. It’s interesting. I just never know what to say. I am not one of many travel stories. Or very strong social skills (I am more introverted than some people believe) But I like when he tries to talk to me sometimes. Sometimes I don’t feel like talking, but I don’t have the heart to tell him because I would feel bad. The people that talk to him act kind of snobbish to him and I really hate that. He is nice for an older guy.

I sometimes feel a bit intimidated by him though. He knows a lot. I know some of the things he talks about, I just don’t know how to put it into words. Life isn’t like school. I can’t write what I want to say and show the person. Sometimes I wonder if taking a vow of silence would be an acceptable thing to do so I could get away with writing what I want to say.
    But I know it can’t happen because sometimes I feel as if I have to say something. Even if it is just something ridiculous to people. Most things I say seem stupid to others so there is no surprise there,

I wish that people didn’t stare so much. Or make me feel weird.
    I don’t like those feelings.

ugh Sami, I totally understand why you would be annoyed by that! I am so sorry you're dealing with it. I wish you didn't have that happen, but I totally understand how it feels cause it seems like people stare at me. What I've always done if people catch my eye more than once is just smile and say hi, it usually unnerves them and they respond. People get used to not talking or thinking about people as actual people sometimes. So if you make it obvious that you know they're staring at you it might help them remember their manners. Does anyone else have any advice for Sami?

Let us know how it goes!

ReachOut Regular xSami_Sometimesx's Avatar
    I do that a lot. I kind of gave up on it though because it doesn't work with these people. They just, stare until something else catches their attention then they do it again. It drives me insane.

well, at least you know that you're a more respectful person! I know it doesn't help when they are still staring at you but at least it will help in the long run because you will be a nicer person !