Thread: Don't belong

ReachOut Regular

Don't belong

Hi I'm new here and just wanted to have some reassurance that I'm not alone in my feelings. I have recently been feeling like I don't belong anywhere. It seems like everyone around me and all my classmates are out drinking and smoking and partying while I just sit alone in my home. I can't even remember the last time I hung out with a friend outside of school and it just seems like I don't fit in anywhere. Even my girlfriend who I always felt on the same page as has been going out and partying. I have been to parties in the past but just felt uncomfortable and awkward and I often lie to people to make it seem like I'm a partier as well. Maybe I am just meant to be alone?

Welcome to ReachOut Gus! We're so glad to have you here!

It sounds like you're feeling so alone lately, and I'm really sorry for that. Finding your place in this world can be difficult, and there are those times of transition when people are changing around you, and you just wonder where you fit in. I've felt this way before as well. It was actually before I met some of the best friends of my life. Even if it feels like this feeling of loneliness will last, it won't! I believe things will get better for you!

How about talking with your girlfriend about the way you're feeling? A little communication can go such a long way, and is an important part of any relationship! If it helps, try writing it out first, and go from there.

http://us.reachout.com/facts/factshe...-communication

Would you consider looking into some meet up groups or school clubs that pertain to your interests and hobbies? That's a really great way to meet new people and find friends that share some common interests. If you're into volunteering, there may be some opportunities in your community as well, which is another nice way to meet people.

http://us.reachout.com/facts/factshe...ing-loneliness
    http://us.reachout.com/facts/factshe...ing-new-people

We're all here for you! Brighter days are on the horizon!
    Note: The ReachOut Forums will be suspended after December 31, 2015. All existing threads and posts will still be available to read and review, but no new posts will appear. We hope to gain new funding, and be back soon, but in the meantime, here are some places where you can keep talking and get support:

-- Your Life Your Voice
    -- Ok2Talk
    -- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
    -- Trevor Project Trevorspace for LGBTQIA youth
    -- ReachOut Australia forums

You're not meant to be alone and you're definitely not alone here!

I totally understand what you mean about feeling uncomfortable at parties, especially when everyone else seems to be completely at ease it's so easy to feel out of place. I bet a lot of the people we see at parties are just as uncomfortable as we are and a fair amount of them are probably lying about being "partiers" as well.

I guess my point is that not being comfortable at parties or in big groups in general and/or not being comfortable with drinking is nothing to be disappointed about or embarrassed about. In fact, smoking and drinking can be really damaging to you (as I'm sure you know). I bet you are a really awesome person so I bet if you just keep being yourself (even if you feel like you don't fit in) you will eventually find like-minded people with whom you have more in common and you will find yourself surrounded by awesome people just like yourself!

Sorry I rambled on a bit there
    -Thalia