Thread: Depression and my cat.

ReachOut Regular

Post Depression and my cat.

So...

This is my first semester at the University of my dreams. But I'm sad.
    When I moved here I found someone that I thought would be in my life for a really long time. But I was wrong.
    I'm still hurt about them leaving but I'm getting better at accepting it.

I think the only thing that really makes me happy is my cat. His name is Bebe and he's 11 years old. He's pretty big for just a regular cat! He weighs about 15 pounds and is super fluffy. He's black and white ~ He has a little tuxedo marking and extra toes on his feet. I am also his favorite chair.

I try my best to be a good support to my friends; to be open and honest and willing to listen. But when I go home, when I'm alone in my room, I can barely manage to keep myself from crying.

I have so much to look forward to... But I'm so scared I'll never achieve my dreams.

I guess all I'm looking for is reassurance that it will be okay.. That I'll make it through this.

And you should tell me about your cat, too ~ <3

Hi themoonisapancake,

Welcome to ReachOut!

It sounds like you've been struggling with the changes in your life, and I'm so sorry about that. I'm glad that you came here to reach out for support, though.

Reading your post, I can tell how caring and thoughtful you are. Supporting your friends and family even while you are going through your own struggles also shows just how strong you are!

I'm sorry to hear about the relationship that ended. That can be so difficult! Do you have anyone you can talk to about how you're feeling? Sometimes talking with someone can help you sort through your feelings.

It's ok to feel uncertain right now, especially at the beginning of school and with the other changes in your life. Sometimes breaking a big goal like finishing school into smaller parts can help with some of what you're feeling. You could celebrate each smaller step, such as finishing a class or a big project!

And Bebe sounds wonderful! I'm happy to hear that you have such a loving companion. Pets can be so comforting and a big part of our lives.

My own cat is very much a princess and usually gets what she wants. She's all white and smaller than an average-size cat. She makes me happy too!

You will get through this, and it will be ok. I know that brighter days are ahead for you.

We're here for you when you want to talk. Stay strong!
    Note: The ReachOut Forums will be suspended after December 31, 2015. All existing threads and posts will still be available to read and review, but no new posts will appear. We hope to gain new funding, and be back soon, but in the meantime, here are some places where you can keep talking and get support:

-- Your Life Your Voice
    -- Ok2Talk
    -- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
    -- Trevor Project Trevorspace for LGBTQIA youth
    -- ReachOut Australia forums

Hey there!

Losing someone special like that sounds really rough, but you sound like a really strong and mature person for even trying to accept it, not to mention that you said you are getting better at accepting it!

Being there for your friends is a great way to care for them and let them know you love them, but it can also be very draining! Being there for each other is a big part of being friends with someone. Are they there for you too? Could you talk to them about how you feel?

As for being afraid that you'll never achieve your dreams... that is a tough one! While I have full confidence that you CAN achieve your dreams, I also wanted to remind you that there is no point in your life that all other points rely on (well maybe being born lol). What I mean by this is that if you are afraid that failing a class or even two will stop you from ever making it to the things you want to do with your life, it doesn't work that way! Life is full of second chances! You don't need to worry! You can do this no matter if you fall down on the way.

I believe in you
    -Thalia