Thread: Any advice or happy thoughts?

ReachOut Regular Athena_the_Gallifreyan's Avatar

Any advice or happy thoughts?

Hi, I'm just here for a bit of support/advice. I've been clean for about 8 months but lately have thought about returning to self harm. I don't really want to, but I feel compelled. I was depressed for a while, and used self harm to cope for around six months until I started to get better this past spring, but lately I've started to feel it getting worse again. I've tried all the usual tricks: rubber band snapping, drawing on myself, holding an ice cube until it melts, but none of them really seem to help. Luckily, I flushed my razors when I finally got clean so I don't really have anything I can use at the moment.

Okay, now that I've gotten my backstory out of the way, I can get to the subject at hand. I've been trying to tell myself that I don't need to use pain to make me feel stronger. I would greatly appreciate if anyone could convince me otherwise. I'm not good at lying to myself. I've done it so often that I can see right through my tricks. It would even help if you could tell me something that makes you happy, or what you find beautiful in the world.

Thank you for reading.

Hello Athena,

First, I want to say congratulations on a clean 8 months! That's really awesome, and is so telling of the amazing strength you have! On the road of recovery, there are bumps and turns here and there, but it doesn't take away the progress and work put into that recovery.

It sounds like you're looking for some additional coping strategies tonight, and have tried a few, finding some that work and some that don't. How about journaling, working on some art (watercolor is pretty cool), watching a favorite movie, taking a walk, or talking with someone? THIS thread is full of coping strategies that people around the forums have found helpful. Is there a family member, trusted friend, or another trusted adult in your life that you can be open with?

http://us.reachout.com/facts/factshe...rate-self-harm
    http://us.reachout.com/facts/factshe...ing-strategies

Another thing that you can do is call the helpline Your Life Your Voice at 1-800-448-3000. That number is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and it's free to call as well as confidential. Go ahead and save it so you have it handy! They're really great to talk with. They even offer other ways to contact them (email, online chat, and even texting), which you can find out more about via THIS link to their page.

Some of my favorite things are my cat, the way the sun shines through my window in the afternoon, afternoon walks, hiking, photography, reading, writing, watching Gilmore Girls...Doctor Who...Christmas movies (or the appropriate seasonal shows of the time), and baking!

If you pop over to the Hanging Out & Games threads, you will find a few threads that talk about people's favorite things, and my personal favorite is the What Are You Thankful For thread!

We're all here for you, and we truly care! Stay strong!
    Note: The ReachOut Forums will be suspended after December 31, 2015. All existing threads and posts will still be available to read and review, but no new posts will appear. We hope to gain new funding, and be back soon, but in the meantime, here are some places where you can keep talking and get support:

-- Your Life Your Voice
    -- Ok2Talk
    -- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
    -- Trevor Project Trevorspace for LGBTQIA youth
    -- ReachOut Australia forums

You are strong, no doubt about that. You were able to get rid of the razors when you wanted to get better. Maybe you think you need to feel pain to make you happier or stronger, but you truly don't. Just remember how far you have gotten, and how far you will go. If there is anyone that knows about you self harming in the past, maybe you should go to them and tell them that you are feeling compelled to do it again. It is not going to be easy to talk to someone else about it, but it is necessary in order to get better. I wish you the best of luck, and I am here if you need someone to talk to! Your online community is always here for you!