Thread: I've never been embarrassed about my self harm until now

I've never been embarrassed about my self harm until now

So I've stopped self harming a while ago. Well I've haven't stopped ,but I definitely don't do it as often. If I had to give exact numbers I'd say about twice a month. So, for the most part I always have fresh scars [...]. I wouldn't say I try to hide my scars. I don't flaunt them ,but if someone sees them I don't deny anything. Although some people know I cut not a lot do. Well last week I was putting my hair into a ponytail and my sleeves slipped down. The bathroom was packed and a bunch of girls saw my scars. A girl literally jumped away from me when she seen them. Now I get strange looks from a lot of people. I don't know if I'm just being paranoid or if people are really acting different towards me because they know I cut. But now all of a sudden I have the need to hide and cover up my scars for the sake of someone seeing them. I'm terrified to go to school tomorrow. I've had bad anxiety all weekend as the mere thought of going to school. I don't now what to do.
    Last edited by Mandy_Moderator; 11-16-2015 at 09:05 PM.

Hello ni_lanay,

It sounds like you're really feeling worried about school tomorrow and have been struggling with self-harm lately. I'm so sorry to hear that you're noticing people react to you in those ways. It must really hurt. I'd like to acknowledge the fact that you really are trying, and I think that shows such an amazing strength in you! I saw that you posted in the thread with ideas for coping as well. Did you find some additional coping strategies that you think would be helpful at the times when you feel the urges? Have you considered writing in a journal, listening to music (and singing or shouting along with the words), dancing around your room, or trying something like working with clay or puzzles?

Do you have someone in your life that you feel you could open up and talk with? It may be a family member, teacher, school counselor, or other trusted adult that comes to mind. It can be so helpful to have someone you can talk with who can not only be there to listen, but also offer some much deserved support.

http://us.reachout.com/facts/factshe...meone-can-help
    http://us.reachout.com/facts/factshe...rate-self-harm
    http://us.reachout.com/facts/factshe...ing-strategies

One thing that you can do, even tonight, is call and talk with someone at the helpline Your Life Your Voice. The number to call is 1-800-448-3000, and it's free to call. Additionally it's confidential, secure, and available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can find out more about the helpline and other options for contacting them via THIS link to their page. I hope you'll give them a call. It sounds like you could really use someone to talk with tonight.

We're all here for you, and we truly care! Stay strong! Brighter days are on the horizon!
    Note: The ReachOut Forums will be suspended after December 31, 2015. All existing threads and posts will still be available to read and review, but no new posts will appear. We hope to gain new funding, and be back soon, but in the meantime, here are some places where you can keep talking and get support:

-- Your Life Your Voice
    -- Ok2Talk
    -- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
    -- Trevor Project Trevorspace for LGBTQIA youth
    -- ReachOut Australia forums

It can be really scary to see how some people react to scars. Especially self harm scars. However, the only opinion of you that will ever truly matter is your own! And I know that sounds super cheesy, but it really is true.

You are the one who will define your life and who you are. If you are be happy with who you are and accept yourself with any and all flaws you may have, the people who are betting against you will stand no chance.

I believe in you!
    - Thalia