Thread: Relapse

ReachOut Regular StressedRunner's Avatar

Relapse

Up until today, it had been almost a full year since I had self harmed. I honestly just don't know what to do. My family makes fun of my self harm and if they see this, I know my life is going to get much worse. I feel weak and useless and I can't believe I screwed up again. I know my friends support me but I really don't want to bother them...

Hi StressedRunner,

It really sounds like you're struggling right now, and I'm so sorry to hear that. You definitely deserve to feel better. I'm glad, though, that you came here to reach out to us and get support.

That must be difficult to not receive encouragement from your family. Being able to talk about your feelings can certainly help when things aren't going so well.

How about calling Your Life Your Voice tonight? You can give them a call any time, 24/7 at 1-800-448-3000. You might try calling them now just to see how it feels to talk about what you're going through. They can also be contacted via chat, text, or email. You can find out more by clicking here.

That's so great that you haven't self-harmed in almost a year! What helped you during that time when you felt the urge to self harm?

That really shows a lot of strength that you were able to stop self harming for so long. Relapse can be a part of recovery, so be gentle with yourself about it.

Let us know how you're doing. We care about you, and we're here for you when you want to talk.
    Note: The ReachOut Forums will be suspended after December 31, 2015. All existing threads and posts will still be available to read and review, but no new posts will appear. We hope to gain new funding, and be back soon, but in the meantime, here are some places where you can keep talking and get support:

-- Your Life Your Voice
    -- Ok2Talk
    -- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
    -- Trevor Project Trevorspace for LGBTQIA youth
    -- ReachOut Australia forums

I'm so proud of you. You haven't self harmed in a year and it takes some huge balls to last that long. I know you might feel weak and useless ,but trust me your not. You're so strong and so brave. You are not weak. Would a weak person be able to stop self harming for a week let alone a year? I think not. You are so strong. You just had a moment of weakness and that's perfectly ok. It's perfectly okay to have a moment of moment of weakness. It just means you have been strong for so long ,and you needed a break. This is perfectly okay. You are going to be okay. Forget about your family tune them out if it makes things any easier. If you don't wanna bother your friends, you can bother me. I give you my full permission to wake me up out of my sleep to discuss your problems. Remember this is about you. It's about you getting better. And no it's not selfish to work on yourself and take time to make yourself a stronger person. You need to do whatever helps you right now. If you want to scream at the top of your lungs at 3am in the morning to make yourself feel better to feel okay, than do it. If you need to let ice cubes melt on your wrist to give you the burning sensation or draw lines on your wrist in sharpie to make your scars feel fresh, than that's what you do. Trust me you will be okay.