Thread: Just started a new job-- AND I'M FREAKING OUT!!

Just started a new job-- AND I'M FREAKING OUT!!

I started very first job a couple days ago, last Saturday. I work at a gym, and I am so mad that my manager just gave me 2 days of training. At first when I started my first official day of work, which was last Saturday, I messed up a little and had to ask questions from my coworkers. Today was my third day of work, and I work at the front desk, where I check people in, make calls about updating people's billing information. I messed up so bad today, I thought we had this policy where a member can bring a friend, who does not have a membership yet, for one day free pass to try out the gym. I thought we were allowed to do that, because the other front desk people do that, like a couple of days ago, my coworker allowed my sister's friend in who did not have a guest pass or anything. This lady came in asking if her boyfriend can come in for the one day free pass, and stupid me let her in. It's not my fault that none of my managers even told me everything and how to deal with every situation, because like I said I only had 2 freaking days of training. I feel like it's a bad place to work, because my managers tell me new things that I didn't learn throughout my training!! I'm not saying it's a hard job, it's just I didn't know that they still did the one day free pass(I literally had a membership before I even got the job, and they would allow that). It would be nice for them to let me know of everything!! Later on today, the guys who work in sales were trying to talk to the girl's boyfriend, and he kept cursing at them. They got so mad because he didn't check in or had a guest pass, so they looked through the check-ins on the computer and found that the girl checked in, but the guy didn't, which made me look bad because I'm supposed to check everyone in. They kept reassuring me not to worry that it's not my fault, because they know I'm new and all, but I lied when they asked me if I said anything to them. They asked if I saw him, I said I don't remember, a lot of people were coming in. I just didn't want them to know that I let him in. Later on, because my sister's boyfriend works there, I asked him if the other coworkers were mad at me, and he said no, they understand that I'm new. But I lied!! I don't want to get fired, I'm so scared!! What do I do?! Will I get fired, even though I just started?!

Hi Gisele,

Even though you are worried about work, let me just start off by saying congrats on starting a new job! Landing a new job is an accomplishment regardless.

I'm sorry to hear that you're stressing out so much about a few mistakes. Mistakes are going to happen, especially in the beginning of a new job! Think of it like this: everyone there was once 'the new guy', and they remember what it is like the first few days. Nobody is going to expect absolute perfection out of you immediately. The important thing is that you show you are sorry for making mistakes and that you are learning from said mistakes!

I don't think you'd get fired over a small situation on one of your first few days of work, but if you are that worried about it, maybe you could schedule a meeting with your boss to sit down and apologize to them one on one for the mistake, and ask if they have any advice or tips to ensure you don't make any other mistakes.

Stay strong, you'll get through this! And don't forget, we're here for you if you need to talk!

I hope you'll pop back in and let us know how things are going
    Note: The ReachOut Forums will be suspended after December 31, 2015. All existing threads and posts will still be available to read and review, but no new posts will appear. We hope to gain new funding, and be back soon, but in the meantime, here are some places where you can keep talking and get support:

-- Your Life Your Voice
    -- Ok2Talk
    -- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
    -- Trevor Project Trevorspace for LGBTQIA youth
    -- ReachOut Australia forums

Thank you so much for the advice! That actually made me feel better. I eventually did ask one of my other coworkers, who doesn't work in sales, about how to deal with that situation, and he told me to direct them to the sales workers. I don't want to meet up with my boss and say I'm sorry(he doesn't work on weekends, so he probably doesn't know), I don't think I would feel comfortable. Now that I learned my lesson, I won't be doing that again. Maybe you're right that they are cutting me some slack considering that I'm still a beginner, they even said to not worry. I guess I was being paranoid.

Hi Gisele,

Thanks for giving us an update! I'm so glad to hear that you're feeling better about your job.

I've been through similar situations in previous jobs, and it can be so hard. It sounds like you did a positive thing by talking with a coworker. Sometimes more experienced coworkers can provide a lot of support and information. I'm happy you found that in your workplace!

It's totally understandable that you would be stressed when starting a new job. Do you have any ways to relax?

Stay strong! We care about you! We're here for you when you want to talk!
    Note: The ReachOut Forums will be suspended after December 31, 2015. All existing threads and posts will still be available to read and review, but no new posts will appear. We hope to gain new funding, and be back soon, but in the meantime, here are some places where you can keep talking and get support:

-- Your Life Your Voice
    -- Ok2Talk
    -- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
    -- Trevor Project Trevorspace for LGBTQIA youth
    -- ReachOut Australia forums