Thread: addicted to drugs

ReachOut Regular Cheshire_Cat_Jazz's Avatar

addicted to drugs

Hi im new here im 22 (female) and live in england. i feel the only way i can ever feel better/alive is smoking weed, drinking or taking other stuff. ive been like this since i was 17 its what stopped me self harming but now i want to self harm aswell. lifes a pretty bleak thing. i guess i just need to talk to someone everyone else in my life has their own crap to deal with and dont want to listen to me.

Hey Jazz, welcome to ReachOut. I'm glad you came here to talk things over. How did you hear about us?

I suppose it's true that everyone has their own crap in life, but that doesn't mean we can't still listen to each other, right? I noticed that you responded to some other people already. That's really cool of you. You're struggling, but still trying to help others. I admire that in you.

Have you ever sought therapy to figure out why you're in this cycle of drug use/self harm, etc? Seems like if you could work on the causes, find some solutions or new ways to think, you could beat both problems, and find healthier ways to cope. We want to support you through that. Can you think of anyone in your life that you could talk to about it? Is there someone that might help you get to a counselor? Do you have groups that help people get off of drugs there in England? (For instance, here in America, we have Narcotics Anonymous.)

One way that you can talk to someone confidentially is to contact Your Life Your Voice. Since you're in England, you'd need to use either the online chat or the email methods. Email is available 24/7, and the online chat is at specific hours. You can to THIS PAGE to see the details and to get started.

Keep talking about things -- we want to support you!
    Note: The ReachOut Forums will be suspended after December 31, 2015. All existing threads and posts will still be available to read and review, but no new posts will appear. We hope to gain new funding, and be back soon, but in the meantime, here are some places where you can keep talking and get support:

-- Your Life Your Voice
    -- Ok2Talk
    -- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
    -- Trevor Project Trevorspace for LGBTQIA youth
    -- ReachOut Australia forums

Hey there Chesire! Have you taken a look at any of the fact sheets on the site? There are quite a few that may be some help to you, I really help you.

http://us.reachout.com/facts/factshe...e-on-your-life
    http://us.reachout.com/facts/factshe...p-for-drug-use
    http://us.reachout.com/facts/factshe...s-and-symptoms
    http://us.reachout.com/facts/factshe...ing-strategies

Did you get a chance to call the Your Life Your Voice helpline? They really can be a lot of help, I hope you try call.

I would say talk to someone and be around people who don't influence you to self harm or support you doing drugs or drinking alcohol. Have you thought about talking to a counselor of some sort or try getting into therapy?

ReachOut Regular
    This is exactly how I feel. I self harmed from 13-17 years old. I'm 19 now, and I smoke weed/cigarettes, drink, and use sex as a way to deal. I don't want to talk to my friends, because they don't understand, and I don't want them to think I just want attention, or that I think I'm more important than they are. I keep to myself, and look like an asshole, because of everything I do to numb the pain. I hope you are okay.

Hi Kayla,

I responded to your other thread but I also wanted to say hello here!

Stay strong, you are not alone and your voice is being heard.
    Note: The ReachOut Forums will be suspended after December 31, 2015. All existing threads and posts will still be available to read and review, but no new posts will appear. We hope to gain new funding, and be back soon, but in the meantime, here are some places where you can keep talking and get support:

-- Your Life Your Voice
    -- Ok2Talk

ReachOut Regular
    Im actaully from england but live in the US now. [...]! Im 20 years old and suffer with depression on a daily basis. At the age of 14 i started drinking on weekends and by the age of 15 i had moved on to alcohol and drugs on weekends. i have suffered with depression and PTSO for many years and i thought that drugs and drink was a scapegoat. By the time i had turned 18 i was going out every weekend from friday to sunday many times monday without going home, hopping from part to party to keep consuming the drugs and drinks. [...] I regret it so much now as my body is literally destroyed from the inside. I am a college athlete and fitness is a big part, for my body size and shape and the way i look you would think i was one of the fittest guys on the team, when in fact im at the opposite end of the spectrum. My coach asks me why im unfit and i have to lie and tell him i didnt have time to work out, when in fact ive been working out hard for around 2/3 years now and should be much fitter than i am. My body looks good but when i do anything i feel terrible on the inside, it hurts, lungs stomach, blacder. I know its because of the way i partied for my teenage years and it is now ruining my steps in to adulthood. I was addicted to drugs in general, not so much drink but anything that would get me high, help me escape the pain.

I was dumb to think that the way i was treating myself wouldnt catch up to me however it has and drastically. Im now off hard drugs, cigs and alcohol for the best part as i occasionally drink on weekends. However i struggle to kick the [...] craving. I find it by far the hardest to say no too, infact i dont say no. I smoke at the minimum of 5 days a week and honestly try to stop. I know its all mental as ive been able to kick the other habits. But i just cant seem to shake this.

Im starting to ramble on a bit here but what im really trying to say is that its all mental. Get in to double figures for days without and it gets a lot easier. Plan your days, write down a schedule and try to avoid hanging out with people when they are doing the things you are trying to quit. You dont have to stop being friends just dont stay around them when theyare doing the exact things you want to quit. Plan your schedule so that you do funs hings that keep you occupied, spend time with family or sober friends. Honestly its all mental, the double figure things works for the best part so i recommend that. But the biggest way to quit is to just stay away in general.
    Last edited by Rachel_Moderator; 12-01-2015 at 11:48 AM.

Hello Jonathan,

I just replied to another one of your posts, and then saw you giving such encouragement and kind words over here as well. I want you to know that just as you are offering up support to others, we’re all here for you as well!

It sounds like you’ve been through a lot starting in your teen years, and have really come out with such a strong, never give up type of attitude. You mentioned being an athlete. Which sport are you involved with? How long have you played?

Have you ever considered talking to someone about the habit that you’ve been trying to stop? It sounds like you really want to kick it, but haven't found a way as you were able with other things. The following fact sheet includes some additional information as well as some resources that you can check out.

http://us.reachout.com/facts/factsheet/marijuana

The helpline Your Life Your Voice as a great place that you can talk with someone as well. The number to call is 1-800-448-3000. It's free, confidential, and secure. I’d like to mention that they also have an online chat and texting (text VOICE to 20121) between the hours of 6 pm to midnight CST as well as an email option. You can find out more by visiting their page via THIS link.

We’re all here for you, and always willing to listen!

-- Your Life Your Voice
    -- Ok2Talk

ReachOut Regular
    Hey there
    I'm Guy and I get how you feel. I've been battling alcoholism and crack addiction since I was fifteen. I just want you to know that no matter how difficult it feels and how hard it is to be sober, you just have to remember that it is possible, and that you are capable of beating addiction.
    We all believe In you!! Stay strong!