Thread: Not Sure What to Expect || Help?

ReachOut Regular LittleGhostGirl's Avatar

Question Not Sure What to Expect || Help?

Hello, I'm new to this website and I wasn't sure where I should post this. So hopefully I'm not way off. But I'll start off by introducing myself. I'm going to be 21 in January and I'm a female, I've suffered from depression and social phobia for just about all my life but I've managed with it. Now I'm taking a few different medications for my anxiety and one for depression but the thing is I've also been also dealing with this... emptiness, I guess you could say. And I can't seem to form any sort of emotional bond with anyone. Like all my friends I've had and do have, I wouldn't and don't care if they up and leave and I never see them again. In fact I had this one friend who I knew since I was months old and my cousin who I've known since I was 6 months old; I no longer talk to my friend and my cousin and I don't actually see other other all that much and I don't care.

And that is why I'm going to see my doctor in about five days. But I've also been dealing with self harm for the past couple years and I haven't ever told anyone about it. Now I'll go ahead and get to the reason why I'm posting this:

When I got see my doctor, what should I expect? He's my PCP but he let me know that he's comfortable in dealing with mental health of his patients but what should I expect when I go in and I tell him this? If it makes a difference, I currently live in Ohio.
    But will he suggest I go into an inpatient mental health program if I tell him I have been and currently am still dealing with cutting myself? Or will he just suggest that I talk to a therapist and start me down that road first, before thinking about sending me away?

Welcome to Reachout LittleGhostGirl! We're so glad to have you join us here!

It sounds like you've got a a bit on your mind tonight, and I'm glad that you took this step in coming here to talk with us. I see that you've got an upcoming appointment with your doctor, and you're just kind of wondering about how that may go. It's important to be open, honest, and ask as many questions as you have on your mind. It may even help to write down any questions you have initially, and ask them at the beginning of the appointment.

I'm including a few fact sheets, one of which even talks about what to expect when talking with your PCP. I think you'll find the information really helpful!
    http://us.reachout.com/facts/factshe...-care-provider
    http://us.reachout.com/facts/factshe...meone-can-help
    http://us.reachout.com/facts/factshe...rate-self-harm
    http://us.reachout.com/facts/factshe...ing-strategies

Have you considered writing in a journal, going for a walk, listening to music, reading, or working on something artistic or crafty when you feel overwhelmed? Some people will rip up a newspaper, hit a punching bag or pillow, or get active with vigorous exercise when feeling the urges. THIS thread has a lot of additional coping strategies that people right here on the forums have found helpful. It can be helpful to have someone that you can open up and talk with as well. Is there a family member or other trusted person in your life that you can think of?

Another thing you can do is call the helpline Your Life Your Voice at 1-800-448-3000. It's free to call, confidential, and available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They're really helpful. You can even save that number somewhere to have it handy any time you'd like to call. For more information on this and other ways to contact them, hop on over to their page via THIS link.

We're all here for you, and always willing to listen! You are not alone! Stay strong! Brighter days are on the horizon!
    Note: The ReachOut Forums will be suspended after December 31, 2015. All existing threads and posts will still be available to read and review, but no new posts will appear. We hope to gain new funding, and be back soon, but in the meantime, here are some places where you can keep talking and get support:

-- Your Life Your Voice
    -- Ok2Talk
    -- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
    -- Trevor Project Trevorspace for LGBTQIA youth
    -- ReachOut Australia forums

Well I'm unsure about all of this, as you are. I don't have much experience in the area. However, it's good that you came here, the people here are caring and loving, as well as seeking help, that's good. A lot of people don't do that. However, you're not alone on these issues. I'm sure you'll get better through time as well as with help of your caring family and friends and the help you're seeking already. I'm routing for you and even if you can't feel emotion towards others, know that your family and friends all care for you and are with you through all of this. Have a wonderful day and stay strong!