Thread: What will help

ReachOut Regular

What will help

I've was a cutter for a a few years. It's never suicidal, just cut [...]. I found that I cut over feeling guilty and to control a pain that no one else can cause me. So I did the butterfly project and wrote a love ones name on it. Now going through my boyfriend saying he needs time and space because he's losing interest as he deploys but doesn't want to end the relationship yet and losing the job I had guaranteed to me when I graduate for the last three years, I'm finding myself wanting to cut. Badly. And the reason I want to cut is that everyone I feel that should be showing support for me in this time of emotional crisis, isn't. If they cared they'd know I would be Turing to this outlet to cope with my emotional pain. And so now the butterfly project won't work since I feel unloved by the loved ones who I would write their names down on the butterfly. Doesn any one have suggestion on ways not to cut given my current feels about why I cut.

Hello Golfing_gal,

I can see that you're feeling so overwhelmed tonight, and I'm glad that you took this brave step in opening up to us. You have shown such amazing strength, and although times are so tough right now, I believe that you can get through this!

When you're feeling the urges, how about tearing up some newspaper, hitting a pillow, throwing ice against the wall, dancing it out, or taking a jog or run around the block? There is an entire thread full of coping strategies that members right here on the forum have shared, and you can check that out HERE.

http://us.reachout.com/facts/factshe...ing-strategies
    http://us.reachout.com/facts/factshe...rate-self-harm

Something that you could do is give the helpline Your Life Your Voice a call at 1-800-448-3000 and just talk with them. They're available any time (24/7), free to call and confidential too! You can find out more information by visiting their page. You could even give them a call tonight.

No matter what, there is always someone who cares! You are not alone!
    Note: The ReachOut Forums will be suspended after December 31, 2015. All existing threads and posts will still be available to read and review, but no new posts will appear. We hope to gain new funding, and be back soon, but in the meantime, here are some places where you can keep talking and get support:

-- Your Life Your Voice
    -- Ok2Talk
    -- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
    -- Trevor Project Trevorspace for LGBTQIA youth
    -- ReachOut Australia forums

Hey Golfing_gal,

I'm so sorry to hear this is happening to you. It must be really difficult to feel like you are losing your support system while things are get difficult again! However, please know you can talk to people here whenever you need someone as well as calling the helpline. It can be really scary to call, but when I i called they were really nice so it is totally worth it.

If you feel that writing the names of loved ones on the butterflies isn't helpful anymore perhaps you could write something else. Are there any goals you are working towards right now? Any daydream vacations you want to go on or pets you want to adopt at some point? Perhaps you could wrote those personal goals on the butterflies instead because even if the people around you aren't paying attention to your feelings and needs there is no need for you to give up on them! Your hopes, dreams, and feelings are yours so maybe you could put those in the butterflies to remind yourself that your recovery is for you and you are goign to continue working towards what you want out of life no matter if others are with you or not.

Hope this helps
    Love
    -Thalia