Thread: I don't know if this is self harm or not and it's confusing me

ReachOut Regular Xx_bringmethehorizon5's Avatar

I don't know if this is self harm or not and it's confusing me

I don't do this daily, but I sometimes get the urge (or simply have the desire) to hurt myself and I [...]...it leaves red marks but it doesn't bleed, they stay for a week or so... should I be worried or not because it's not actually [...] and I don't really think it's hurting me but I'm scared to tell anyone because I kind of told my parents but they got upset and I told them I'd stop to calm them down but I haven't exactly except it's not every day or anything...

It doesn't have to be serious injuries, or daily repetition, for it to be self harm. It's probably a good idea for you to explore why you're doing this, so you can find a healthier way of coping, before it gets out of control. You could have a talk with your parents, and be more honest with them about it, or talk to a counselor or some other trusted adult.

Another thing you can always do is contact the helpline at Your Life Your Voice. By phone they can be reached 24/7 at 1-800-448-3000, or you can text them between 6 pm and midnight (central time) every day by sending VOICE to 20121. They also have online chat and email. Click HERE to read about all the options.

You aren't alone with this. So many people have the same struggle. You're smart to try to address it before it becomes a huge problem for you.

We want to be part of your support system!
    Note: The ReachOut Forums will be suspended after December 31, 2015. All existing threads and posts will still be available to read and review, but no new posts will appear. We hope to gain new funding, and be back soon, but in the meantime, here are some places where you can keep talking and get support:

-- Your Life Your Voice
    -- Ok2Talk
    -- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
    -- Trevor Project Trevorspace for LGBTQIA youth
    -- ReachOut Australia forums

ReachOut Regular Xx_bringmethehorizon5's Avatar
    Thank you! I decided to make an appointment with my school's counselor, to talk about some other issues I have and maybe this...I'm kind of nervous to tell anyone about it but hopefully it works out
    I don't even understand why I do it, which concerns me kinda. Usually I have a pretty low mood and sometimes it feels like depression and I do get anxiety sometimes and I've been told I have a low self esteem. But usually when I do this it's because I actually like the notion of hurting myself and that disturbs me a little.

Hello bringmethehorizon,

I'm so glad to hear that you're taking that brave step and planning to talk with your counselor. If it helps, maybe try writing it out before the appointment. I actually write things out before talking with someone quite a bit, and find it really helpful!

When you start to feel the low moods coming, how about turning on a favorite movie or tv show, or maybe some music that can help to lift you up? Talking with someone is helpful as well, so if you can think of someone in your life that you can call, visit, or text, that may be something you can do. Of course, you can always come and talk with us here as well!

I'm including a few fact sheets that have a lot of great information!
    http://us.reachout.com/facts/factshe...s-and-symptoms
    http://us.reachout.com/facts/factshe...tive-self-talk
    http://us.reachout.com/facts/factshe...atment-options
    http://us.reachout.com/facts/factsheet/self-esteem

We're all here for you, and we truly care about you! Stay strong!
    Note: The ReachOut Forums will be suspended after December 31, 2015. All existing threads and posts will still be available to read and review, but no new posts will appear. We hope to gain new funding, and be back soon, but in the meantime, here are some places where you can keep talking and get support:

-- Your Life Your Voice
    -- Ok2Talk
    -- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
    -- Trevor Project Trevorspace for LGBTQIA youth
    -- ReachOut Australia forums