Thread: Your experience with gender

Your experience with gender

What have your experiences with gender been? Where do you feel that you fit in the spectrum, or - If you're genderfluid - where does your gender range?

How have your experiences been with others accepting you, and you accepting yourself?

Just discuss how you've felt and experiences with your gender identity.

For me, personally, I came out as transgender recently, however I feel that I fit more in the fluid range between demi-boy (Partially identifying as a male), agender (lacking gender), and demi-girl (partially identifying as a female).

I'm not a the general FTM or MTF transgender, but I feel that I still belong in the transgender spectrum. I struggled for a long time with my identity. I thought I either had to be cis-female, or completely transition to a male. However, voicing my thoughts online, getting feedback, and hearing from others, helped me validate myself.

YOU. ARE. VALID. That has been my big lesson. No matter how you identity (If it's common or not, you are valid.)

I identify as genderqueer, I often use They and He pronouns, but I do not plan on doing a physical transition or taking testosterone.

My clothing choices change day-to-day, and I wear very little makeup.

ReachOut Peer Supporter glitterbear's Avatar
    Hey twistedharmony8,

Thank you for posting this! It's great to see such affirmative posts on the forums. You're right, everyone's genders or lack thereof are totally valid!

It sounds like you've come a long way in accepting and loving your gender. That's great! I totally get thinking at first that you have to fit into one binary gender or the other. That's what society tells us our whole lives. But really, there are so many more gender possibilities out there, as you've discovered.

Since you asked, I'm nonbinary and genderqueer. I use ze and hir pronouns. My experience of other people accepting me has been mixed. I think one of the most important things is to cultivate a small group of people--online and/or offline--who get and respect your gender.

What are other folks' experiences? Feel free to share!

Shine on,
    glitterbear

Could you explain ze and hir pronouns to me? I never really understood those kinds of pronouns and they seem so foreign to say.

Hello twistedharmony,

I love when you say – “YOU. ARE. VALID.”. Totally true, and such a powerful statement the way you have it typed out there. You’re absolutely right!

I know that you’ve asked about ze and hir pronouns, and I’m sure glitterbear will be able to give you a wonderful explanation! However, there is a fact sheet that even comes with a chart of pronouns that you can check out as well!

http://us.reachout.com/facts/factshe...-right-for-you

We’re all here for you!
    Note: The ReachOut Forums will be suspended after December 31, 2015. All existing threads and posts will still be available to read and review, but no new posts will appear. We hope to gain new funding, and be back soon, but in the meantime, here are some places where you can keep talking and get support:

-- Your Life Your Voice
    -- Ok2Talk
    -- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
    -- Trevor Project Trevorspace for LGBTQIA youth
    -- ReachOut Australia forums

Quote Originally Posted by twistedharmony8 View Post
    Could you explain ze and hir pronouns to me? I never really understood those kinds of pronouns and they seem so foreign to say.
    Ze and hir fall into the category of neopronouns (literally "new pronouns"), which means they have come into use more recently and are less well known than pronoun sets like he/him, she/her, and they/them. You use them in a sentence like this: "Glitterbear is a peer supporter. Ze replies to forum posts and loves hir work." I like ze/hir because they're nonbinary and unique, just like my gender.

It has taken some people in my life some time to get used to them, but it can be done with practice. For folks who aren't able to use neopronouns because of things like cognitive disabilities, I have them use they/them pronouns.

Do any neopronouns fit with different gender identities (Like he/him with male, she/her with female) or is it just whatever sounds and feels right?

Quote Originally Posted by twistedharmony8 View Post
    Do any neopronouns fit with different gender identities (Like he/him with male, she/her with female) or is it just whatever sounds and feels right?
    Yep, it's just whatever feels right. Pronouns don't have genders.