Thread: Scared to tell my parents I'm Bi

ReachOut Regular

Scared to tell my parents I'm Bi

Hi,
    I'm a 13 year old girl and over the years I've relized that I am a Bisexual. I found this out around 5th and 6th grade when both girls and guys caught my attention. Now I have a huge crush on this girl who also has a crush on me and we're just waiting for the perfect moment to tell each other. The thing that I'm really scared of is telling my parents. I don't know what they think of gays, lesbians, transgenders, or bisexuals. Most of my friends are except my one friend from 4th grade. At a middle school football game I told her my sexual preference and she started ranting that if I was bi then I would go to hell! I'm scared this will happen with my parents as well and they won't accept me as their daughter. Any suggestions to help?

Hi AquaCatnip!

Welcome to ReachOut! I'm glad that you came here to reach out to us!

It sounds like you're having a difficult time trying to find a way to communicate with your friends and family about being bisexual. I'm so sorry to hear about what you're going through right now. You've taken a big step by coming here to talk about what you're going through, though.

You're so brave to want come out to your family and friends. Here is a fact sheet about coming out and some things to consider. If you're having trouble figuring out how to start the conversation, then this might help too. Also, the resources at The Trevor Project might be useful.

It seems like you've had one bad experience with sharing your sexual preference with someone. I'm so sorry that you had to go through that! Have you been able to talk with other friends or possibly the school counselor? You are a wonderful person and deserve support during this time. If you ever need someone to talk to, then you can always call the helpline at Your Life Your Voice at 1-800-448-3000. You can find someone to listen 24/7, and they are great! They also offer text, email, and chat services. You can find out more by clicking on this link.

We're here for you if you need to talk, and we care about you. Stay strong!
    Note: The ReachOut Forums will be suspended after December 31, 2015. All existing threads and posts will still be available to read and review, but no new posts will appear. We hope to gain new funding, and be back soon, but in the meantime, here are some places where you can keep talking and get support:

-- Your Life Your Voice
    -- Ok2Talk
    -- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
    -- Trevor Project Trevorspace for LGBTQIA youth
    -- ReachOut Australia forums

ReachOut Peer Supporter glitterbear's Avatar
    Hey AquaCatnip,

Rachel provided some great resources and food for thought. I just want to emphasize that whether or not you come out and how you come out is totally up to you. Remember that your safety and comfort are the most important things.

I'm so sorry to hear that your friend had such a bad reaction to you coming out. It must have been so hurtful to hear her say you would go to hell. That was a really hateful, mean thing for her to say.

It sounds like maybe some of your other friends, who are also LGBT, would be more accepting. Have you come out to any of them? Do you feel like they're supportive of you?

It must be sad and scary to think that your parents might not accept you if you came out to them as bisexual. No matter what happens, we'll be hear for you.

I hope you find at least a couple of friends who can be there for you and really support you. In my experience, that's really helpful, especially in environments that aren't so accepting.

Write back and let us know how you're doing.

Take care,
    glitterbear

ReachOut Regular
    If your unsure how they feel in general about LGBTS, tell them that a girl in your class just came out and ask them what they think. Or tell them that a person in your class went into a long rant in one of your classes about how homosexuality is wrong and see what they say. As for coming out, I told my parents in a letter. This was very good for me because I could say exactly what I wanted and had a bit of time before their reaction. This also gives them time to talk to each other. However you decide to do it, when you come out and people except you, it will be a giant weight off your shoulders. If you ever need someone to talk to, my [...].
    Stay strong!
    Katherine
    Last edited by Scout_RO_Mod; 11-10-2015 at 10:28 PM.