Thread: Why?

Post Why?

For such a long time now I kept thinking that hurting myself was the worst thing I could ever do. My depression went away for a couple weeks but then something big happened to make it come back, as worse as ever. I started cutting again. But it has gotten to a point where I don't care any more. I don't see the big deal about doing it. I don't know why, I just don't get why I shouldn't do it anymore. I'm not suicidal anymore. I just cut. Maybe someone can explain to me why it is so bad because I've gotten to the point where I don't care what happens anymore. I give up on making these feelings go away because something always happens to make them come back. I am in no way encouraging other people to self-harm, I just want to know why I shouldn't do it anymore.

Hello G96,

It sounds like you've been struggling with these feelings for quite some time now. A bit off and on, but lately it's been a bit more difficult. I'm really so sorry for that. Is there someone that you can talk to there? Maybe a family member or a trusted friend or other adult that you look up to come to mind.

When you feel the urges, how about distracting yourself with writing, reading a favorite book, drawing on your skin with red m, watching a favorite movie, or working on something artistic? Self-harm may bring an immediate feeling of relief, but it can cause permanent damage. Finding ways to express those feelings in a healthy way as well as positive distraction techniques not be easy at first, but I believe that you can do it! I believe in you!

http://us.reachout.com/facts/factshe...rate-self-harm
    http://us.reachout.com/facts/factshe...meone-can-help

Something that you can do is call the helpline Your Life Your Voice at 1-800-448-3000. You can call any time (24/7) and talk with someone there. It's free and confidential as well. They are so helpful, and friendly. Many people right here on the forums have called when they need to talk. I hope you'll consider it. You can find out more by following THIS link to their information page.

We're all here for you, and we truly care! You are not alone! Stay strong, stay hopeful!
    Last edited by Mandy_Moderator; 10-05-2015 at 07:29 PM.
    Note: The ReachOut Forums will be suspended after December 31, 2015. All existing threads and posts will still be available to read and review, but no new posts will appear. We hope to gain new funding, and be back soon, but in the meantime, here are some places where you can keep talking and get support:

-- Your Life Your Voice
    -- Ok2Talk
    -- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
    -- Trevor Project Trevorspace for LGBTQIA youth
    -- ReachOut Australia forums

Hey G96!
    I just want to add on to what Mandy says about self-harm being so damaging. Cutting is addictive, you develop tolerance and need to cut more and more severely in order to get the same feeling, and you can end up really hurting yourself. There are also dangers of wounds getting infected, and developing scars. But mostly cutting is a way of masking pain. And you deserve to really heal the root causes of the pain instead of trying to manage it with unhealthy coping like cutting. Getting help and talking to someone can help. Mandy gave you the info on how to make that first step, and I hope that you take it. We'll be here for you too. Keep strong!