Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: What helps you cope?

I write a lot of poetry and it helps I also listen to a lot of sad music it just helps me when I relate to the music like I'm not the only one feeling this way. Also I day dream like it sometimes makes me more sad when I day dream what my life would be like if I wasn't so sick

- My dog
    - My chinchillas
    - My rat
    - I use paint as a way to express how I am feeling.
    - I sit in the shower and cry, the water helps wash away the anxiety

I used to self harm to get over my anxiety and depression. I do think about it sometimes and have resorted to self harm and have done it once or twice but I usually continue to try to be positive and think positive.

Those are some great coping ideas, LadyMonarch! Even if you have done it once or twice, continuing to try and stay positive shows how strong of a person you are!

If you ever feel like you need someone to talk to about anything at all, I hope you'll consider giving the youth helpline Your Life Your Voice a call(1-800-448-3000). They're free, confidential, and available 24/7! They also have the option to chat online, text, or email if you don't want to talk on the phone. You can find out more information on those services and their hours of availability from this link here.

Keep staying positive! There are brighter days ahead!
    Note: The ReachOut Forums will be suspended after December 31, 2015. All existing threads and posts will still be available to read and review, but no new posts will appear. We hope to gain new funding, and be back soon, but in the meantime, here are some places where you can keep talking and get support:

-- Your Life Your Voice
    -- Ok2Talk
    -- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
    -- Trevor Project Trevorspace for LGBTQIA youth
    -- ReachOut Australia forums

ReachOut Regular
    This is an amazing idea!
    I usually distract myself with some book or a movie, TV show. Something to forget all the negativity. It's much easier to live in someone else's universe.

ReachOut Regular
    I do this everyday whenever i dont feel like talking or i doodle and draw

ReachOut Regular
    Loud aggressive music that no one else can hear.
    Flamenco dance (the footwork)
    Drums
    Boxing classes
    Push ups
    Running outside (I hate running)
    Being extremely busy
    Comedy
    Philosophy
    Science
    Poetry
    Spiritual studies, all kinds
    Learning something that blows me away (from any source)
    Talking out loud to my cat
    Not being home
    Being home
    Crossing off everything from my to-do list
    Crying
    Channeling anxiety into aggression that can be blown out in a constructive physical activity as listed above
    Journaling
    Sometimes you just need to sleep
    And sometimes you need to get out of your auto-pilot routine and go crazy (crazy=good) no I don't mean drugs or anti social activities. I mean actually let yourself feel life and express yourself entirely in the moment, wherever you are, whatever that means to you.
    Doing weird things that entertain you/get you outside of your box.
    (I just signed up for my university's physics society and got an email for "cosmic lunch" Thursday... hahaha totally going.)
    Meditation, mindfulness, questioning the thoughts that keep cycling through your head and are not serving you.
    You can change the person that's living in your head.. it doesn't even take that long.
    Start watching how you treat yourself day in and day out, and instead of reacting to everything, try looking into the deeper workings of things... don't forget your curiosity.
    Why are things the way they are?
    The answer may have many layers.
    And remember that wherever you find yourself, you are only in one moment of your life. Telling yourself that you'll be miserable for the rest of your life (fill in the blanks with your own story, ex: stressed and exhausted until you graduate) is catastrophic thinking... that's the fuel that fed my 10 year anxiety disorder.. question those thoughts.. they aren't necessarily true and are not in line with reality if you don't want them to be.
    Don't forget that anything can be funny or sad.
    It's not what happens to us in the outside world, it's what we do with it. It's the meaning we give to it. It's how we shape our own lives from the cloth that we find between our fingers.

ReachOut Regular
    One thing that really helps me cope especially in public places where I can't break down is to just take deep breaths, scratch an itch (I honestly do this because it is an option that replaces self-harm to relieve stress, and it actually helps by curing your itch!), smile (a study shows that if you smile, your brain will automatically release serotonin and make yourself believe you are happy!), and, if I feel like crying, hold the bridge of my nose to stop the tears.

ReachOut Regular
    Well, I have two things that might initially sound kind of strange, but I learned them in treatment, and they are SO helpful

1) Ice packs. Like those instant first-aid ones you crack. If you hold it up to your cheekbones or to your chest right above your heart it activates something called the vagus nerve, also called the "diver's reflex," that actually physiologically slows down your body. It's an official DBT skill and it's so helpful. My roommate occasionally asks me why I stockpile medical ice packs and I don't really have a good answer, but that's pretty much the only downside.

2) Silly putty. There's this brand called "Crazy Aaron's Thinking Putty" that is AMAZING. It comes in big and little tins. I have like a drawer full of all different colors (some even glow in the dark!!!). And it's more discrete than desperately clutching an ice pack.

journaling and running

Writing, and going for a walk.

ReachOut Regular
    copious quantitys of [...]
    Last edited by Lyn_Moderator; 11-24-2015 at 06:57 PM.

ReachOut Regular
    I find that solving Rubik's cubes helps me distract myself. Speed solving is a fun, in my opinion, and I keeps my hands occupied.