Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What helps you cope?

~Sleeping
    ~Running/Working out
    ~Playing Guitar
    ~Writing
    ~Screaming and punching my punching bag
    ~Might sound weird, but learning something random and studying it
    ~Taking a long bath and listening to music and ignoring the world, attempting to meditate

~Writing
    ~Talking/being around him
    ~sleeping
    ~crying and screaming
    ~Listening to music
    ~singing
    I used to harm myself to cope but I made a promise not to anymore and realized it wasn't helping

What helps me cope a lot of the time is to talk to my best friend about what's going on! Sometimes it can get a little scary to confide in someone, so I just force myself to talk to them because I know they'll make me feel 10x better.

Another thing I find helpful is to let out whatevers bugging me through creativity. I love to draw, paint, sketch and all that but there are many other ways such as singing, dancing, photography, theatre, and writing! If a lot of this is not your cup of tea doing little DIY projects or baking can be really fun and there are a lot of helpful tutorials online that make it really easy to do. ( plus when you bake you have something sweet to eat at the end :~) )

One of the best things for me though is to make myself some loose leaf tea ( or just regular ol' tea) and try to get outside for a small walk or to just sit down somewhere. Sometimes being alone and allowing yourself to maybe cry or think outside really does leave you feeling refreshed. As long as you're in a safe environment, of course.

What's important is that coping is different for everyone so some of these might not work for you or none of them, but it's always good to try some new healthy techniques! Best of luck to everyone on the forums through their rough patches and we're all here to support you along the way.

I like reading these it makes me happy!

Here are some things I do, I am still trying to find more but this is what I have so far:

-Write a random story (I don't think I am good at writing but I sometimes like to because you can write about anything you want!)
    -Listen to happy, upbeat music and have a mini dance party (I may look absolutely ridiculous if someone comes in the room but it cheers me up! that must count for something haha)
    -Reading (I am trying to read more because it is a good way to calm down and cheer up a little)
    -Watching a movie or show (this is good to relax too, and it can make you laugh or smile. Make some popcorn or get some candy too! Also get a blanket and pillows and be comfortable)
    -Take a nap (this is good especially if it is hard to sleep at night, and you can just have a break)
    -Daydream (I like trying to think of good things that might happen in the future, it has kept me here because it cheers me up!)
    -Take a walk and enjoy nature (nature is beautiful and when you look around you and just enjoy the world and what it has to offer. Listen to the birds, and the trees rustling in the wind, it is calming and nice)
    -Eat a little chocolate (best ever, chocolate is delicious, sometimes you just need a little)
    -Go hang out with someone or call someone (talk about good things and it can take your mind off of anything bad going on, or if you don't have anyone to talk to, I can talk to ya )
    -Clean up your room or clean out your closet (I seriously find new things every single time I clean, or old things I have been looking for)
    -Go buy something for yourself (I like doing this, just go out and get one thing you like or have been wanting to get)
    -Smile (it may not be real but sometimes for me fake smiling makes me cheer up a little and then I start randomly laughing at myself for smiling for no reason haha)
    -Make something (search diy activities online, and make it!)
    -Cook something or make a meal (this will distract you and you will learn from the experience)
    -Skip down the street (this is absolutely random and people may look at you funny but oh well)
    -Smile at someone you don't know (this could be someone you have seen at your school or work or a stranger on the street but it will you and them up)
    -Compliment someone (this makes me happy because I like making others happy)
    -Volunteer (volunteer anywhere, you will feel good about helping out)
    -Pamper yourself (do what makes you happy, just do it, but only good things of course!)
    -Think about what you are grateful for (I haven't tried this yet, but I am going to and I heard it helps)

I have a lot more ways but I can't think of them at the moment! Even writing this list made me happier! That is another one...

-Write what makes you happy down and do it all!

Have a good day!

Things I do:

-listen to music, sing or dance with it or just listen
    -go outside, go for a hike, lay in the hammock & read, or just sit outside
    - workout watch a workout video, play just dance, go for a run
    -write in a journal, can clear my head
    - being sociable, even if your not talking just being around uplifting people can feel good
    - crochet or knit
    - do something for someone
    - craft or art project
    - cleaning
    - reading a good book
    - talking about it with someone you trust
    - thinking about a good thing that's gonna happen in the future, something your looking forward to
    - think about good things in your life
    - coloring in a color book
    - watching something funny. Whether it's a tv show, movie, or youtube
    - taking a shower, this is usually when I'm really down. I sit at the bottom and let the water sprinkle down on me. I might cry or just think.
    - trying something new. Experiencing something new. I might be anxious about it at first but I can find it rewarding because I can gain confidence or wisdom.

listening to music
    working out
    going for a run
    playing videogames
    pro wrestling/sports
    sleeping
    schoolwork
    posting on forums like this

Being in nature. Being near water always makes me happy. Or smelling wild flower, or having flowers in my room. Cause then when I see them it reminds me that not everything is so bad.

here are some of my coping methods

playing violin
    singing
    reading
    hiking
    running
    writing poetry or just journal entries
    climbing trees

ReachOut Regular
    Going for a drive
    Listening to music while reminiscing my future or past
    playing with my dog or sisters hamster, for some reason it just helps me
    running
    Spending time with my little brother, He is my best friend
    playing games
    laying down
    going to sleep, sometimes I can sleep it off

ReachOut Regular
    I would distract myself by talking to my friends but I dont have any anymore. how ironic.

-counseling
    -music
    -art
    -for girls beauty and makeup
    -instagram
    -tumblr
    -shopping

hey frm, I think that's a great list of things you can cope with. I'm sorry you are feeling like you don't have any friends, have you talked to anyone like a close relative or an adult you trust about it?

I looked and found some fact sheets that might help you, I hope they do

http://us.reachout.com/facts/factshe...ing-new-people
    http://us.reachout.com/facts/factsheet/friendships
    http://us.reachout.com/facts/factsheet/express-yourself

Please keep us updated and let us know how you're doing!
    Last edited by Lyn_Moderator; 03-15-2015 at 05:53 PM.

I have a hard time using positive coping skills and not self-harming. Can you help me?

Quote Originally Posted by Melody_K View Post
    I have a hard time using positive coping skills and not self-harming. Can you help me?
    Hello Melody,

I replied to your other thread, but wanted to come and say a bit over here as well. I'm just so sorry that you're struggling to find positive coping skills. This thread is a great place to find some that have really worked for the people that are posting about them. I think it's great that you're taking this step in asking for help. That's so brave of you.

If you're feeling like you need to talk with someone, the youth helpline Your Life Your Voice is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by dialing 1-800-448-3000. It's free, confidential, and secure! Texting is another one of their options, so if you prefer, you can text VOICE to 20121 to get started. The hours for that, and their online chat are are available from 6 pm to midnight CST (which is 4-10 pm Pacific, and 7 pm to 1 am ET). If you click this link, you can find out more information.

http://us.reachout.com/facts/factshe...ng-a-help-line

I want you to know that we are all here for you, and you are not alone!
    Note: The ReachOut Forums will be suspended after December 31, 2015. All existing threads and posts will still be available to read and review, but no new posts will appear. We hope to gain new funding, and be back soon, but in the meantime, here are some places where you can keep talking and get support:

-- Your Life Your Voice
    -- Ok2Talk
    -- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
    -- Trevor Project Trevorspace for LGBTQIA youth
    -- ReachOut Australia forums

~I listen to music
    Sometimes it doesn't help though because my thoughts are louder than my music.

~I read

~I also write another chapter to a book I'm writing on this websight called 'Wattpad'.
    Im also writing a book about me and my past. I figured it would help me learn how express myself. It takes me one step closer to being about to tell my mom about my problems.

~I sing
    sometimes, just listening to music doesn't help, so I sing even though I'm not very good at it.

~I play games on my iPad
    sometimes simple games take my mind off of things.

I listen music and remember the good things happened in life and good time spent with friends, family and loved one.

ReachOut Regular
    Hi guys I was wondering if anyone could help me, I recently discovered I have anexity and depression I get loads of phycial problems such as aches and pains in my heart I constslty feel down and worry about everything how long will this last smd will I be okay

Hi Justme88, welcome to ReachOut! I am so sorry that you are feeling like this. Do you have someone like a therapist or a doctor that you can talk to about these physical reactions you are having? It can help to talk to someone.

Learning to cope and developing coping strategies can be tough, but this fact sheet has some more information on how to do that. Do you have anything that you love to do that relaxes you? Maybe the next time you are feeling extra stressed, you could take some 'me time' and do something that will help calm you. When I am upset or stressed about something, I take my dog for a walk and listen to some acoustic/indie music, it always makes me feel better! Do you enjoy going for walks? Or maybe something like writing in a journal, doing something creative(painting, coloring, poetry, anything!), or even just relaxing and putting on one of your favorite movies, those are all some great ways to channel your feelings and emotions.

If you ever want to talk about anything at all, you can always post here on the forums. We'll always be here for you! Just stay strong, you can make it through this.
    Note: The ReachOut Forums will be suspended after December 31, 2015. All existing threads and posts will still be available to read and review, but no new posts will appear. We hope to gain new funding, and be back soon, but in the meantime, here are some places where you can keep talking and get support:

-- Your Life Your Voice
    -- Ok2Talk

ReachOut Regular
    Hi, I am 22 year old male and I struggle from depression. Although medications did help, but I have found that some simple home remedies help me a lot. I take morning sunshine and then meditate in the open for an hour. I go for warm chocolate and try to keep things as organized as possible. These home remedies do have some scientific backing, as I found out in this article. [...]
    Last edited by Scout_RO_Mod; 05-04-2015 at 11:38 AM.

have u tried meting new people get involved bro!!!play sports or something join a club!!!

I use negative coping mythodes but ever since I joined reach out I am finding out that I am cutting less and less and better coping skills

When I start feeling depressed I usually end up hitting something before I freak and start crying. Last time that happened I busted two of my knuckles. But after that I listen to my music get something pleasant to hold onto and I calm down.

Hello Jason, and welcome to ReachOut! Super glad to have you here, and sharing with us today!

I think it's great that you turn to music to help find a place of calm. Do you have a list of music that you'd like to share with us? It's always nice to see what songs others find calming, and it may give others some ideas as well!

Do you have someone in your life that you feel comfortable talking with about the feelings you've been having? Perhaps a trusted friend, or family member pops into your mind.

http://us.reachout.com/facts/factshe...s-and-symptoms

We're all here for you, and always willing to listen!

-- Your Life Your Voice
    -- Ok2Talk

Of course you will be okay There will be days when you don't think you are, or you don't feel okay, but EVERY day is a new day. I didn't know I had anxiety until I was fifteen, depression also came along with it. When the stress gets too much I get really bad physical pain too, like at the moment, mine is in my back and neck though. But things do get better, every day is a stepping stone to where you want to be. There will be bumps in the road, and you will have bad days. Remember the good days though, and remember the great ones, but don't dwell on them. That doesn't really help unless you're encouraging yourself to have another one of those days(I've discovered). Stay strong because you ARE strong, stronger than those who don't have to battle this everyday. This way you feel won't last forever, our feelings are constantly changing. Try to have a good night, or day/evening whatever time it is your in, and remember tomorrow is a new day, different than the day before.
    p.s. I hope this at least helped a little.
    Last edited by Lyn_Moderator; 06-20-2015 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hellothisisme View Post
    Of course you will be okay There will be days when you don't think you are, or you don't feel okay, but EVERY day is a new day. I didn't know I had anxiety until I was fifteen, depression also came along with it. When the stress gets too much I get really bad physical pain too, like at the moment, mine is in my back and neck though. But things do get better, every day is a stepping stone to where you want to be. There will be bumps in the road, and you will have bad days. Remember the good days though, and remember the great ones, but don't dwell on them. That doesn't really help unless you're encouraging yourself to have another one of those days(I've discovered). Stay strong because you ARE strong, stronger than those who don't have to battle this everyday. This way you feel won't last forever, our feelings are constantly changing. Try to have a good night, or day/evening whatever time it is your in, and remember tomorrow is a new day, different than the day before.
    p.s. I hope this at least helped a little.
    this is for Justme88 (or anyone else who found it helpful or anything like that)

MUSIC TURNED UP REAL LOUD IN MY EARS. just block all other noise out. I love it.