Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What helps you cope?

What helps you cope?

Hi everyone, I thought I'd start a thread here so we can all help each other by adding things that help us when we're feeling down or depressed.

What helps you pick yourself back up when you're down?

I have a book called my 'happy book' that I add to when I am feeling happy, with images I love, photos, dreams, poetry or quotes I like, for me to look at and read when I am down. It really helps. I even write different things like 'read this when you're feeling mad' or 'remember xyz when you're down' so I'm kind of talking to myself from when I'm in a better place.

It helps!

ReachOut Peer Supporter DelightedSweet_Peaa's Avatar
    When I feel like i cant take it anymore, I throw my energy into school and remind myself that i am still young and have a future ahead of me.
    I hang out and talk to thosee around me, like my friends ! And I take a nice, long walk at the beach, which i love.
    Or i take some time to just sit by myself and meditate a little- i relax/mull over everything that needs to happen in my life
    and dancing to pop music never fails in my case

This is a good thread! Sometimes it helps to just see what other people do when things are hard.

Here are some of mine:

-Listen to music (I have a specific playlist)
    -Call or text a friend or someone in my family (not usually about the problem, just as a distraction and to improve my mood)
    -Do something creative. Once I played with play-dough with my friend's little brother. You can't stay upset when you're playing with playdough!
    -Read a book, or think of some weird topic and google it and read everything I can find
    -Do something active, even just walking around the block

Those are mine. They seem pretty stupid, all listed out, but that's what works for me!

ReachOut Peer Supporter glitterbear's Avatar
    Scrolling through tumblr can be relaxing/renewing, as long as I stick to the cat gifs and pretty photos rather than the sad news.

I like to cross-stitch while binge-watching so-bad-it's-good reality TV.

Cleaning my room and creating a nice space for myself helps me feel calmer.

I also love painting my nails. I feel good while I'm doing it because I'm doing something special that is completely for me. And then it's the gift that keeps on giving because I get to look at my pretty nails all week.

What helps pick me up is turning to people or things that really give me strength and hope.

God, my mother, my closest friends, and my puppy each know how to encourage me and give me the support when I am feeling down. Knowing that someone is always there for me gives me the courage to push through.

Inspiring quotes, funny photos, and listening to music help me find a reason to smile even when things are tough.

Walking outside, reflecting, and just giving myself space to let my emotions out also really helps me let go of what is bringing me down.

These are just some of the many ways that I am able to cope.

keeping a journal.

ive had a journal for a year ad a half... it sounds really lame. i know. but after seeing it help so many people, i tried it, and everyday, b4 i go o bed, i write in it. highlights of my day, pros and cons, and definitly how im feeling and the emotions.

i really, realy encourage you to at least try it. its not for everybody, but theres alot of people who do.

ReachOut Regular
    Here's what I do,

-run (it gets the endorphins going, I just run until I can't anymore)
    -go on a drive on some back road, roll the windows down and turn the radio up, it doesn't even matter where I'm going
    -play the piano (it helps to have something to do with my hands and something to focus on, so my mind can't wander)
    -sing
    -listen to music (the louder the better)
    -go to the beach (just looking at the ocean calms me down)
    -write in a journal (seeing everything kind of written down just helps puts things into perspective)
    -go on a walk

-shopping. Sounds superficial but walking a few laps around the mall really helps me. You don't even have to buy anything, it just helps me to get some exercise and there's lots of things to look at to distract you. Or get yourself something you feel great in
    -running. Visualize running away from anything troubling you, leave it in the dust
    -cook/ bake. Another great distraction, reading the recipe, moving around your kitchen, doing something with your hands. And who doesn't love food!
    -take a nap. This one is good if you've been crying and are emotionally wiped out. Just sleep as much as you can. Listening to ocean waves or rain sounds on a cd or YouTube helps me actually fall asleep
    -listen to music. Nice and loud too, sing your worries away
    -your hobby, sport, or art. Im a dancer, so I'll learn some choreography online or make up my own. If you're an artist, paint. If your a basketball player, go shoot some hoops. Just do what makes you most happy, your passion.
    -laugh. I have netflix, and there's tons of hilarious stand up comedy
    on there, as well as comedy movies. Or I watch funny videos on YouTube, Jenna Marbles always lifts my mood. Even if you're laughing through the tears, it's truly the best medicine.
    That's what helps me most

Rookie
    For some reason listening to Ray Charles calms me down and makes me feel better for the people like me who use music as a get away.

@Mnm, Loving Ray Charles as a coping mechanism- that is so awesome! Music is a great one.

My final nothing-else-helps trick is taking a nice warm shower (or a bath, but I don't have a bathtub where I live). It helps me relax and fade the problems away (at least for a while), so after the shower I'm always feeling a lot better!

ReachOut Regular
    Structure. I need structure in my life. I need clear goals to achieve and a system in place to achieve them. The only way to do that is through organization, so planning, recording, acting and communicating are of paramount importance to me. i find keeping a journal helps with tracking general abstract ideas which are passing through my mind and I'm quite proud of it. I use microsoft onenote to keep on top of more practical affairs, while drawing and music are good forms of expression which i like to indulge in when I'm not doing anything else. I play the violin and i have started recording my music so that i can listen over it and highlight any faults when I'm feeling good, and for a lift-me-up when I'm feeling sad, while for drawing i plan on investing in a sketch book so i will have something to look over which i can say: "yes i created that". I also like reading but two doctors and a load of other people have told me that i read too much philosophy so I'm trying to stay away from that for a while in order to create other kinds of occupational activities, since i think i used philosophy as a bit of a crutch.

coping strategies, I like this thread
    -music, obviously not all music is perfect for every bad feel, try making playlists like happy music, calming music, sleeping music, energetic music, self love music.
    -hanging out with friends, or just talking on the phone with someone
    -get support from any religious institution you belong to, I've heard it can help
    -make something creative, it helps you to recognize that you are special because without you it wouldn't exist, I prefer writing and drawing but playing anything from playing an instrument to cooking can work as well
    -writing in a journal, not my favorite way to write but hey if it works it works
    -exercise, don't like it but you might
    -meditation, same as above, always worth a try
    -watch funny shows and movies, the cornier the better, combine this with some friends (maybe even a 'Friends' marathon) to make a truly wonderful evening
    -have 'me time' do something that you love no matter what it is, or revisit a past pastime

that's all I got for now, I will add more if I think of more

this is awesome. I like what everyone has posted so far and i have similar ones.
    1. listen to music/ dance i love dancing its one of the few times i feel truly free.
    2.read i love reading funny comics or interesting history. read inspirational blogs. i can say the harry potter series has actually saved my life many times not even exaggerating.
    3. hanging with my closest friends...its one of the few things in life i have going for me. i have a good group of friends that i can hang out with.
    4.posting here makes me happy, i never really expect solutions to my problems but i now you guys are genuine and supportive and sometimes thats what i need to get through a challenges in my life.
    5.go for a walk, i looove walks and listening to my music... have to be careful of your surroundings though...for safety reasons.
    these are the positive ways i cope.

Loving these! Dancing is so freeing.

@pegasus, I know what you mean about Harry Potter- I think a good series or film or something that you know always picks you up is so important. For me, it's Wayne's World- it just always makes me laugh and think, things aren't that bad.

@manlivinginthepast, I think that's a really great call about structure. I am the same- I outline goals for a day - whether they are work related or personal, and make myself wake up early and get ready for the day!

@Latsu, loving the me-time idea- so true...

I sit in my room thinking over and over about the situation . when that's done I listen to music to calm me down and relieve the stress for that time.

Can someone reply to my recent forum?? It's a serious situation that I am having a hard time coping with.

i lock my self inside my room, and turn on the music loud,

ReachOut Regular

Coping

Hi everyone. I am a college freshman. I struggle with constant depression and anxiety as well as body image issues. i have been told that i have signs of suicide but i have never been given medicine to help with my problems. My ways of coping when i get down? I guess i have good and bad ways.
    The bad ways: alcohol, cutting, purging...
    The good ways: being alone, listening to music loudly, writing poetry, going for a drive, and running.

Quote Originally Posted by ah8901 View Post
    Hi everyone. I am a college freshman. I struggle with constant depression and anxiety as well as body image issues. i have been told that i have signs of suicide but i have never been given medicine to help with my problems. My ways of coping when i get down? I guess i have good and bad ways.
    The bad ways: alcohol, cutting, purging...
    The good ways: being alone, listening to music loudly, writing poetry, going for a drive, and running.
    Hi again ah8901, I just replied to your other post but wanted to also reply here. I'm so glad that you can recognize that some of the coping methods you've been using are not so healthy or safe for you. I left some factsheets and our helpline number in the other post but I just wanted to give you a hug here, and let you know you're being heard and we care about you. Please keep utilizing those healthy methods like listening to music, writing, running, etc - and if you feel yourself slipping into the harmful habits, please come here and talk to us, or give the youth helpline a call. We can help you through this.
    Note: The ReachOut Forums will be suspended after December 31, 2015. All existing threads and posts will still be available to read and review, but no new posts will appear. We hope to gain new funding, and be back soon, but in the meantime, here are some places where you can keep talking and get support:

-- Your Life Your Voice
    -- Ok2Talk
    -- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
    -- Trevor Project Trevorspace for LGBTQIA youth
    -- ReachOut Australia forums

hi minna!
    so when i feel really depress i usually do this things:
    - i listen to music that will inspire me to continue life
    - i read books or stories that will take my mind away from all the things i'm thinking that will make me depress
    - i cry so that everything that the negative emotions i feel will go away
    - i run

those things really helps me alot.

This song really helps me cope! =]

This Quote really helps me out i heard it in the intro to a song 1990 by Liferuinier
    "As we grow up, we learn that the one person that was never supposed to let us down probably will. You’ll have your heart broken, and you’ll break others hearts. You’ll fight with your best friend or maybe even fall in love with them, and you’ll forget that time is flying by. Life comes with no guarantees, no time outs, and no second chances. You just have to live your life to the fullest. Tell someone what they mean to you, and tell someone off. Speak out, be sincere, and say it with conviction. And never forget where you came from, ‘cause when you do… it’s a long road home."

The song lyrics are very up lifting as well (the song is really heavy but it sounds a heck of a message):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCrm7CKTZZQ

I didn't know you, but I wish I did
    These are the moments you're lost inside our heads
    And as we hold on, hold onto these days
    We try to fall asleep in the beds we've made
    So if you're listening, will you still be there with no song left to sing

And just so you know, just so know
    If you ever doubted, your presence
    Or how in this world you fit
    Remember without you, this song wouldn't exist
    And now because of you
    Ill never hesitate, Ill take my life on head first
    Never looking back again

And when I think about
    All of the things that ive missed
    I'll never live that way

We'll try to hold on, onto these days
    We'll tighten up this grip won't let it slip away
    I know you're listening, you will still be here with no song left to sing

And just so you know, just so know
    If you ever doubted, your presence
    Or how in this world you fit
    Remember without you, this song wouldn't exist
    And now because of you
    Ill never hesitate, Ill take my life on head first
    Never looking back again

Take this hate out of heart
    And fill my lungs with your love
    I've grown stronger, stronger now

And when fall leaves, They turn to color
    We'll wait for an Indian summer
    In hopes of hearing your whispers
    Keep us warm through every winter

ReachOut Regular
    Good ways that I cope are listening to music
    Planning for my future
    Writing
    Meditation (you can pray if you believe in god)
    Having a spa day
    Talking to someone who cares
    Fangirling
    Playing sports (water polo & swim are amazing)
    Making lists of awesome things like tea, snowy days, the beach, how people laugh/smile, that kinda stuff
    It's hard to get through but I hope that one day I will

i used to keep a journal but then i found out my sister would read it and i tried to use an online journal but it took too long to get to when i need to get straight to it

What helps me cope:

1. Writing (usually writing in a journal or any other kind of writing)
    2. Listening to music
    3. Watching TV
    4. Listening to people who have similar stories of mine
    5. Reminding myself that things do get better