Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What are your tips to cope with self harm?

Hello bats,

I responded to your other post, but I wanted to come over here and let you know that you are definitely being heard! I'm glad that you were able to call your therapist, and find a place of calm through talking with her, and some art. When you exercise, what do you usually do? Have you tried yoga? Maybe even try a bit of meditation after! I find it to be quite relaxing.

I gave the information for YLYV in my other response (1-800-448-3000), and you can go ahead and save that number if you'd like, and check out their other options through THIS link. You're not alone in this! There's always someone that you can talk to!
    http://us.reachout.com/get-help/gett...lp-in-a-crisis

http://us.reachout.com/facts/factshe...-end-your-life
    http://us.reachout.com/facts/factshe...hinking-errors

We're all here for you, and always willing to listen! Stay strong!
    Note: The ReachOut Forums will be suspended after December 31, 2015. All existing threads and posts will still be available to read and review, but no new posts will appear. We hope to gain new funding, and be back soon, but in the meantime, here are some places where you can keep talking and get support:

-- Your Life Your Voice
    -- Ok2Talk
    -- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
    -- Trevor Project Trevorspace for LGBTQIA youth
    -- ReachOut Australia forums

ReachOut Regular
    The only thing my therapist told me was Destroy the thing that destroys you and I've been clean for two months

ReachOut Peer Supporter Lightoflife9878's Avatar
    Hi bats and everyone who has posted on here recently!

Bats, I am glad to hear that you turned to someone you trust in a time of need and were able to find artistic expression as a coping method. Keep up the good word and know that you can turn to us or your therapist if you are ever having a rough patch!

-Lightoflife9878

Also brownie, Congrats on your amazing accomplishment!
    It is so encouraging to hear that your therapist's words really were able to positively impact you! You give more hope to all of us.

-Lightoflife9878

ReachOut Regular
    What I do is keep my hands busy with a stress ball or bubble wrap or something. I guess my though process is just you can't self-harm if you don't have a free hand. I might not be the best source of advice for this because I don't usually stay clean for long, but this is what I do when I am.

Hey searchingforhappy!

Thanks for joining in on the conversation. i think thats a really logical and practical tip that youve shared. I definitely think you have your place in sharing what you want on here. Maybe reading through all of this thread and checking out the factsheet on coping tips could help with your own personal success as well!

Thanks for your post!

-Lightoflife9878

ReachOut Regular
    that seems like a good idea, ive been stuggling to find ways to stop selfharming, but that might work

Quote Originally Posted by grim_reaper View Post
    that seems like a good idea, ive been stuggling to find ways to stop selfharming, but that might work
    Hello grim,

I've seen you making such supportive, caring posts to other members, and I think that's really awesome! I'm glad to see that you've found this thread, and are seeking healthy coping strategies for your struggles.

Another thing that can help is having someone to talk with, and share your feelings to. Can you think of someone in your life like that? Maybe a trusted friend, or family member? Another options is contacting the helpline Your Life Your Voice. You can dial 1-800-448-3000 to reach their free, and confidential line 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They offer texting (just text VOICE to 20121), and an online chat between the hours of 6 pm and midnight CST as well. You can find out more by visiting their page through THIS link.

We're all here for you! Stay strong!
    Note: The ReachOut Forums will be suspended after December 31, 2015. All existing threads and posts will still be available to read and review, but no new posts will appear. We hope to gain new funding, and be back soon, but in the meantime, here are some places where you can keep talking and get support:

-- Your Life Your Voice
    -- Ok2Talk

I never really thought about keeping my hands busy with something. Whenever I feel like self-harming, I always have a constant feeling in my hands and arms that will not go away until I hurt myself or find some distraction. I will definately try that next time I get the urge to hurt myself. Thank you for this idea!

Hi Talos,
    My therapist recommended the rubber band trick, and it works (well, on my arms)!! I was about to post about it but I saw your comment. I'm glad to know somebody else does it!

ReachOut Regular Cheshire_Cat_Jazz's Avatar
    it depends on what part of self harming you find helps you cope
    an ice cube made from red dye is good [...]
    Last edited by Mandy_Moderator; 11-10-2015 at 05:25 PM.

I'm not gonna lie self harm is really addicting ,but you have to stay strong. Something I do to help cope ,which might not sound like the most sane thing either is to trace over my scars with sharpie. It makes me feel like I've made new fresh scars therefore fulfilling my need to cut. Sometimes I end up with entire sleeves of tattoos in sharpie ,but it always works for me. I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by ni_lanay View Post
    I'm not gonna lie self harm is really addicting ,but you have to stay strong. Something I do to help cope ,which might not sound like the most sane thing either is to trace over my scars with sharpie. It makes me feel like I've made new fresh scars therefore fulfilling my need to cut. Sometimes I end up with entire sleeves of tattoos in sharpie ,but it always works for me. I hope this helps.
    Hello ni_lanay, and welcome to ReachOut! I've seen you offering support around the forums tonight, and I think that's fantastic! It sounds like you've had some struggles as well, and I just want you to know that we are all here for you, and always willing to listen if you need to talk!

Stay strong!

-- Your Life Your Voice
    -- Ok2Talk