Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What are your tips to cope with self harm?

What are your tips to cope with self harm?

This discussion thread is all about helping others overcome the urge to self harm by sharing tips that you know or that have worked for you. Here are a few ideas to get started:
    1. Wait for 15 minutes. See if you can extend it for another 15 minutes, and then another 15. Continue until the feelings pass.
    2. Write in a journal. You might try to use an online journal that is password protected.
    3. Draw or write in marker over your body instead of cutting. Expressing difficult feelings through actions can be helpful.
    4. Go for a walk. Use up excess energy. If you can, be in nature.
    5. Text or call a friend or helpline like Your Life Your Voice on 1800 448 3000
    6. Play a video game. This might be a good way to distract yourself and help until the anxiety passes
    7. Yell or sing at the top of your lungs on your own or to music. You might do this into a pillow if you don’t want other people in the house to hear
    8. Cry. Crying is a healthy and normal way to express your sadness or frustrations
    9. Notice the environment around you. If you are feeling an “out of body” experience, numb, or panicky, it can help to simply empty your mind of the worry thoughts and pay attention to the ground beneath your feet, the color of the walls (or whatever is in front of you like the trees) the temperature in the air, the feeling of your belly moving up and down as you breath.
    10. Create a box. See this video about self harm on ReachOut's Youtube channel.

*Note: If you are self-harming right now we strongly encourage you to talk about with a trained counselor at youth helpline Your Life Your Voice on 1800 448 3000. We want you to stay safe and you deserve to feel better.
    **Note: Using a balance of distractions and emotional releases
    Sometimes when you try and stop self harming you may notice you feel worse at times. If you haven’t worked through the triggers and developed other coping behaviors you might feel worse without the habit. This is one reason why it's important to not just distract yourself from harming (eg. flicking your skin with an elastic band), but to also address the actual trigger that causes you to self harm. Achieving emotional release through things like journaling, talking with friend or exercising will also help. Think of using distractions for short term solutions and dealing with the triggers & emotional releases as longer term solutions. Along with the tips, it will also help to lean on your support network or a mental health professional, if you can, to get the support you deserve.

What are some other things you've tried, or know, that help?
    Last edited by Liz_ReachOut; 08-04-2014 at 08:24 AM.

Holding ice cubes can help be a distraction.

Vigorous exercise is what I turn to most when I feel the urge to hurt myself. It can be very hard for me to get up and start moving or do anything in general when I feel so discouraged, but I almost always feel at least a little bit better after exercising. Some things I like to do are jumping jacks, swimming, and running. I use QueenLizard's tip often as well. Sometimes, I will hold ice cubes in my hands while doing jumping jacks.
    Meditation helps me as well. I like to focus on relaxing my muscles or on my breathing.

ReachOut Regular
    I draw butterflies on myself. (I use sharpies so they stay on longer). Name the butterfly after someone you love or someone who wants you to get better. So as a reminder, I just write the initials of the one person I love who also wants me to get better inside the wings. If you cut, the butterfly dies, and if you don't cut, it lives. If you scrub off the butterfly, you're cheating. You can draw as many butterflies as you want but one cut will kill all of them.

When I'm at appoint where I can barely take it anymore, I scream as loud as I can into a pillow and then I pray. Sometimes I take red marker or pen and draw where I'd like to self harm and then run freezing cold water over it to give an impression of that feeling.

These can help too:

• Go to a friend that can always cheer you up or make you smile.
    • Watch your favorite movie from your childhood.
    • Rip up as many pages of an old newspaper as you can in one go
    • Throw eggs in the shower (this is fun although you'll have to clean it up )
    • Write a letter to someone whose upsetting you and explain why (Don't mail it)
    • Pay attention to the rhythmic motions of your body (walking, stretching, etc.)
    • Clean your room (or whole house)
    • Get a henna tattoo kit. Put the henna on as a paste and leave it over night. The next day you can pick it off as you would a scab, and it leaves an orange-red mark behind.
    • 5/4/3/2/1 game: if it’s control that you want to experience with Self harm, this might help you. Try and name 5 things you can see, 4 things you can hear, 3 things you can smell, 2 things you can touch and 1 thing you like about yourself
    • Email yourself- just vent, stream of consciousness

I like to hold a stress ball or one of those rubber toys. I find it helps to squeeze them really hard.

I'd go do something you really enjoy

for instance, maybe walk??
    or whatever floats your goat really

Just don't hurt yourself man

when i was going threw rough times my freshman year high school i did cut [...] but i got help and use a rubber band on ur wrist when u want to cut just snap the rubber band a few times and u wont want to any more

I like to run. Listen to music..... but nothing that will upset you worse! Make sure you are not alone. When I feel like harming I put myself around other people that way I can't.

i try to stay away from the things i used and the place i was when i cut. so if i feel like cutting but i have to get something from my room i try to go rly quick so im not up there for long by myself. also hanging out with my little siblings so i cant cut has helped.

I usually hang out with friends, or listen to music, take long showers, sleep, hold an ice cube until it melts(it gives you the sensation of burning, but doesn't leave any marks). You can also try writing on your arm, or the places you cut with a pen/marker where you want to cut.

my tips would be talking to friends & family or adult that you trust

I personally used the rubber band trick. Snapping it against your wrist gives almost the same feeling as cutting, but isn't as damaging.

Something else is go for anything that gives you an adrenaline rush. Don't do anything ridiculously dangerous, obviously, because that defeats the purpose. My personal favorite is to get on the freeway (I live in an area where there are usually very few cars) and drive [...]. Another thing that works is to walk outside and sprint until your lungs burn.

I use the butterfly method. You draw a butterfly on your wrist or anywhere you feel like hurting and if you cut you need to wash it off. This inspires you to want to keep your butterfly alive as long as possible and I find glancing at it gives me hope.

i just learned a new one by accident. i had to write down my friends phone number and so i wrote it on my arm. then i realized: i could write it on my scars so that when i wanted to cut, i saw my friends number and i would know to call her instead of cutting.

ReachOut Regular

post about self harm

[...]
    Last edited by Lyn_Moderator; 04-04-2015 at 10:19 PM.

Hey there flower

I went ahead and edited your post, I want you to know that I read your message, but what you were doing could be another form of self harm and not a good way to cope with these things. I found some fact sheets that might give you some better ideas on how to deal with the urge to harm.

http://us.reachout.com/facts/factshe...rate-self-harm
    http://us.reachout.com/facts/factshe...tive-self-talk
    http://us.reachout.com/facts/factshe...meone-can-help

Remember you can always give the Your Life Your Voice helpline a call. Their number is 1-800-448-3000. They are available 24/7 as well as being free and private. You can save that number in your phone so you have it with you, night or day. They also offer text and online chat if you don't like talking on the phone. You can reach the text service by texting VOICE to 20121. The hours for the text and voice service are different but more information can be found if you click here.

When I had thoughts about committing I would remember that I did have people that love me and would be devastated if I took my life.

I like to go spend time at the barn where my friend boards her horses. the sounds and different events going on help me to distract myself

I have a punching bag in my garage and I beat it to death when im greatly depressed. it works for me and its better than cutting. I still cut sometimes though

Quote Originally Posted by teen_ks View Post
    I have a punching bag in my garage and I beat it to death when im greatly depressed. it works for me and its better than cutting. I still cut sometimes though
    This is a great one, TK... it's physical, and probably gets out a lot of frustration, as well. Keep working at it!
    Note: The ReachOut Forums will be suspended after December 31, 2015. All existing threads and posts will still be available to read and review, but no new posts will appear. We hope to gain new funding, and be back soon, but in the meantime, here are some places where you can keep talking and get support:

-- Your Life Your Voice
    -- Ok2Talk
    -- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
    -- Trevor Project Trevorspace for LGBTQIA youth
    -- ReachOut Australia forums

I've recently started participating in The Butterfly Project. Its geared toward cutting, if you feel like doing it, you draw a butterfly with marker or pen, I use sharpie cause it stays on longer, on the spot you want to do it. If you harm yourself before the butterfly fades, you've killed it. You must let it fade naturally, no scrubbing or anything to remove it faster. There's more to it that you can look up,but that's the basics.

Quote Originally Posted by iknewyouonce View Post
    I've recently started participating in The Butterfly Project. Its geared toward cutting, if you feel like doing it, you draw a butterfly with marker or pen, I use sharpie cause it stays on longer, on the spot you want to do it. If you harm yourself before the butterfly fades, you've killed it. You must let it fade naturally, no scrubbing or anything to remove it faster. There's more to it that you can look up,but that's the basics.
    I really like this one! If you feel the urge and the old butterfly is still there you could always add on more elaborate designs too. Thank you for sharing!

ReachOut Regular
    I still struggle with self harm and dealing with tough situations in a healthy manner, but after it happened today and was having thoughts of suicide I called my shrink about it. She calmed me down and told me to do some art. I did a crazy abstract angry painting, and did some exercise. It helped. I'm not in a joyful mood right now, but I feel much calmer and my mood has stabilized.